The Eulogy – Feature Documentary Film
iKandy Films / Freshwater Pictures / Grusoflix
(Dir. Janine Hoskings/ DOP. Steve Hopes)
* Melbourne International Film Festival 2018 – Winner David and Joan Williams Documentary Fellowship (Vic, Australia)
* Melbourne International Film Festival 2018 – Official Selection (Vic, Australia)
* Adelaide Film Festival 2018 – Official Selection (SA, Australia)
* CinefestOZ 2018 – Official Selection (WA, Australia)
* Brisbane International Film Festival 2019 – Official Selection (QLD, Australia)
* Young at Heart Film Festival 2019 – Official Selection (NSW, Australia)
The Eulogy is a feature documentary, which for the first time unravels the truths and myths behind the life and career of one of Australia's most brilliant, prolific and least understood musicians Following a haunting eulogy delivered by former Australian Prime Minister Paul Keating, esteemed conductor Richard Gill explores the life and career of Australian concert pianist Geoffrey Tozer.
I was brought on to this project as sound recordist for the Sydney end of the shoot, where we filmed Richard interacting with a class of students at the Conservatorium of Music. This scene served as the framing for the entire film.
In order to capture the full room of people we were shooting, I was required to use a combination of radio mic and some athletic boom operating. I was also required to record a grand piano which came up beautifully using my Schopes stereo pair of microphones and experience recording and mixing classical music.