Theo & Celeste – Short Film
(Dir. / DOP Hannah Dougherty)
Sound designer, mixer and editor, Sound recordist
* Indie Flicks – Winner People’s Choice Award (UK)
* Vimeo.com – Staff Pick 2018 (Worldwide)
* TEDxSydney 2018 – Official Selection (NSW, Australia)
* Vancouver International Film Festival 2018 – Official Selection (Canada)
* Dumbo Film Festival 2018 – Official Selection (USA)
* Perth Fringe Festival 2019 – Official Selection (WA, Australia)
* Festival du Film d’Animation de Savigny 2019 – Official Selection (Switzerland)
* MINT Film Festival 2019 – Official Selection (USA)
* Greanhorne.com Film Festival 2019 – Official Selection (Online)
* Hamilton Film Festival 2019 – Official Selection (CAN)
As Theo and Celeste play a game of "would you still be my friend if...?" to test their new friendship, their hypothetical questions become reality, forcing them to confront their deepest fears and strongest yearnings.
This heartwarming short film is a mixture of stop motion animation and live action. The live action features hand painted humans to replicate the visual style and environment that the stop motion puppets live in. It was selected to be made for TEDx Sydney 2018 as part of the film program based on the theme Humankind; screening to 5000 people and streaming live around the world. It has since pulled in over 100 000 views online.
As sound designer on the film I had to build the complete soundscape from silence; something I really love about working with animation. Due to the comedic and absurd nature of the film, I was also able to be a lot more creative and slapstick with what would usually be very naturalistic sounds. Sound designing the little creatures that inhabit the world, and building the atmos tracks that guide us through the changes of time and location, was a lot of fun and really brought it all to life.
On a technical note, all of the dialogue I recorded as ADR, as the animation had already been created prior to recording and the live action was shot without a sound recordist.